Campus Life

SA is ebola safe – Hanekom

Hanekom

 

Tourism Minister Derek Hanekom says he does not think the Ebola outbreak will have an effect on tourism in the country.

 

EWN reports Hanekom, speaking at the launch of tourism month on Tuesday said South Africa has not had one case of Ebola and citizens as well as potential tourists should be aware of this fact.

 

Hanekom said South Africa has taken the necessary steps to protect the country from the epidemic that has killed over 1 200 people across West African countries Liberia, Guinea, Sierra Leone and Nigeria.

 

SA’s ministry of health instituted a travel ban for citizens from Ebola high risk countries and advised all South Africans to limit non-essential travel to the region.

 

Hanekom also mentioned the stringent screening measures in place at all ports of entry, emphasising the country’s readiness to deal with any Ebla case that reached its shores.

 

South African Airways said last week it would uphold Cabinets decision to ban all citizens from Ebola-infected countries but will continue to service its West African routes since the  five destinations it services in West Africa do not fall under the high-risk category associated with the travel ban – specifically Benin, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria and Senegal.

 

Article and image source: Traveller24